Have you ever thought about your prayer life as a leader? John Wesley once said, “God does nothing but by prayer, and everything with it.” Oswald Chambers declared that “Prayer does not fit us for the greater work; prayer is the greater work.”
Henry and Richard Blackaby in Spiritual Leadership give six basic reasons for praying.
Why Do Strong and Helpful Leaders Need to Pray?
- Prayer is an essential leadership activity.
- Prayer brings the Spirit’s filling.
- Prayer brings God’s wisdom.
- Prayer accesses God’s power.
- Prayer relieves stress.
- Prayer reveals God’s agenda. (Spiritual Leadership, page 153.)
Henry Blackaby Quotes
- God is interested in developing your character. At times He lets you proceed, but He will never let you go too far without discipline to bring you back. In your relationship with God, He may let you make a wrong decision. Then the Spirit of God causes you to recognize that it is not God’s will. He guides you back to the right path.
- The Christian needs to walk in peace, so no matter what happens they will be able to bear witness to a watching world.
- What an incredible witness it is to a lost and fearful society when the Christian acts like a child of God, living under the loving sovereignty of the Heavenly Father.
- Perhaps you began to question God’s love or His wisdom. Maybe you were afraid to say that He was wrong, but you sort of said, “God, you deceived me in letting me believe that this was the right thing to do. Why didn’t you stop me?” A whole lot of wrong things can happen if you try to look at God from the middle of circumstances.
- When God spoke to Moses and others in the Old Testament, those events were encounters with God. An encounter with Jesus was an encounter with God for the disciples. In the same way an encounter with the Holy Spirit is an encounter with God for you.
- God speaks through a variety of means. In the present God primarily speaks by the Holy Spirit, through the Bible, prayer, circumstances, and the church.
- He [Jesus] has a right to interrupt your life. He is Lord. When you accepted Him as Lord, you gave Him the right to help Himself to your life anytime He wants.
- God’s commands are designed to guide you to life’s very best. You will not obey Him, if you do not believe Him and trust Him. You cannot believe Him if you do not love Him. You cannot love Him unless you know Him.
- If you know that God loves you, you should never question a directive from Him. It will always be right and best. When He gives you a directive, you are not just to observe it, discuss it, or debate it. You are to obey it.
- If you have trouble hearing God speak, you are in trouble at the very heart of your Christian experience.
- To be loved by God is the highest relationship, the highest achievement, and the highest position in life.