Workplace leadership is a taxing and potentially exhausting endeavor.
Can you imagine what Moses’ days must have been like while leading the 1.5 million (some scholars say that number was more like 3 million) Israelites for the forty years he was in charge?
To make matters more challenging, as the Israelites left Egypt they had
- no government
- no economy
- very few resources
- no educational strategy
- no judicial system
- no infrastructures to support daily life,
- not even enough food and water to keep that many people alive on a daily basis!
What a tiring, fatiguing, exhausting job Moses had taking care of and leading this company of people!
But there was a secret that undoubtedly kept Moses going when he would have otherwise fallen over in sheer exhaustion.
Moses’ Leadership Secret
The Lord told Moses early on in the wilderness,
“My presence shall go with you and I will give you rest.” Moses response was, “If Your presence does not go with us, do not lead us up from here.” (Exodus 33:14-15)
So right there are your two workplace keys for the day.
It will be God’s presence (His Holy Spirit’s leadership in your work-life) today that will keep you not only afloat, but on top of your game, regardless of your profession and its fatiguing nature.
When your own strength and power will certainly fall short, never underestimate God’s ability to provide rest, refreshment and renewal.
God is able to provide rest in the middle of the most exhausting days. But you must:
- dwell in His presence
- stick close to Him
- lean not on your own strength and understanding!
The other key in the Scriptures cited above is that Moses had the wisdom to not go places where the Lord wasn’t leading or going ahead of him.
Think about your work-life. I’m not referring to your choices today between what is immoral and godly. I am referring to good things that require a choice on your end as a leader at work:
- Should we merge with the other company?
- Hire more employees or try to make it with what we have?
- Do we use this brand or that?
- Should we branch out and add on or stay put for now…and on and on and on.)
There are a lot of logical, reasonable things you could do today; places you could “go” with your company, business, or personal career, but is God leading you there?
It is a mistake to go anywhere or do anything that God’s presence isn’t’ leading the way. This type of behavior only leads to conflict, trouble, or heartache down the road, regardless how alluring or attractive it appears. Let Him lead you there…or don’t dare go!
If you’re tired, not just from going to bed too late last night, but from the day-to-day grind of work responsibilities that just keep coming at you from day to day, then find rest in your Lord!
Do so by making sure you are dwelling in God’s presence. Try to answer these questions:
- Are you abiding in Him?
- Are you resting in the closeness of your relationship with Him?
- If not, what are you going to do about it today?
- Are you headed down some path that seems alright on the surface, but you really haven’t consulted the Lord?
- Are you making choices at work that seem good but when you analyze the matter, God hasn’t really directed you to go there?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, re-evaluate.
Consult the Lord before you take another step in that direction. Back up if you must. Better to head back now than to crash later because you were headed for a dead-end to start with.
Work in the strength of God’s amazing presence and go only where He leads you, and you’ll make today and every day really count!