I came across a great article by Thom Rainer recently that pointed out 7 ways to discourage or 7 ways to encourage your pastor. I am a third generation pastor. I have seen all fourteen of these actions take place within congregations.
How does your congregation score?
Here is a review of seven negative behaviors pertaining to your pastor:
- Criticize the pastor’s family.
- Tell the pastor he is overpaid.
- Don’t defend the pastor.
- Tell your pastor what an easy job he has.
- Be a constant naysayer.
- Make comments about the pastor’s expenditures.
- Compare your pastor’s preaching and ministry unfavorably to that of another pastor.
Here are seven behaviors that can counter the 7 negative actions listed above:
- Encourage the pastor’s family.
- Thank the pastor for all that the pastor does at the church.
- Take a stand for your pastor.
- Understand the number of hours a pastor puts in each week.
- Encourage the pastor instead of being critical.
- Don’t compare the pastor to the rare exceptions who live lavishly.
- Tell your pastor how the sermons impact your life.
How is your church doing when it comes to dealing with your pastor and the ministry team of your fellowship?