How Can You Become a Mentor to Someone?
Mentoring someone is a deliberate transfer of wisdom from one person to another.
Eric Parsloe from The Oxford School of Coaching & Mentoring is quoted as saying “Mentoring is to support and encourage people to manage their own learning in order that they may maximise their potential, develop their skills, improve their performance and become the person they want to be.”
There are a vast variety and types of mentoring that ranging from tutoring someone how to take care of their business to taking care of themselves physically.
Mentoring skills are needed in every organization. If a group hopes to see success in preparing the next generation of leaders, mentoring is essential.
6 Steps to Become a Mentor
Even if you have never been a mentor, you can grow and develop the skills of a mentor. Mentoring is not about perfection.
Mentoring demands commitment.
Here are some practical steps you grow the skills of a mentor:
- Recognize Your Skills. Everyone has unique abilities. What talents, strengths, or expertise do you have that would benefit other people?
- Train Your Skills. After you recognize your skills begin a process of study, personal discipline, and educating yourself better to develop those skills.
- Seek Out Resources. What can you find to help you become the best mentor that you possibly can be? Find resources that are available to give you practical training.
- Hunt for People Who Share Your Ideas. Look for people who have a potential to be coached and have a willingness to learn.
- Offer Yourself as a Mentor. Be prepared to work out a proposed schedule that will include details of time and commitment from the one you will be mentoring.
- Build a Relationship. Understand that successful mentors place a high value on personal relationships with those they are mentoring.
Mentoring is a long-term investment.
Are you willing to take the time to work with someone as if it were a marathon and not a sprint?
Successful mentoring takes time!
What would you add to the list of six above to help you become a skilled mentor.