Working on any team can produce all kinds of feelings and emotions. The goal of any good team is to create a healthy environment for every member of the team. The aim of a healthy team is for every team member to be able to say, “Serving on this team makes me feel that I am productive, competent, needed, and appreciated because”:
- Our meetings are well managed and productive. We don’t waste time or energy.
- Team members respect and trust one another.
- We help our leader succeed and he or she helps us to succeed.
- It’s easy to participate in the meetings and in the team’s work.
- I have a unique role/niche on my team that others rely on me for.
- I’m listened to and my ideas count. We also listen to each other.
- Our team isn’t political or gossipy.
- I can see how our work makes a real difference in the lives of people.
- Our mission makes positive contributions to those we work for.
- People encourage me in my work.
- Team members take notice of my contributions and show appreciation.
- Team members maintain a positive attitude.
- We are accountable to each other for our work. We’re constructively open and honest with each other.
- We strive to do what is best for the organization and those we work for.
- We respect the work and priorities of other teams in the organization.
- I feel good about the contributions I make.
- We work together as a team and depend on each other.
- I don’t feel stressed out or burned out working with my team.
If these 18 points are part of your team, you are part of a healthy teamwork environment. Enjoy the journey.
Phil Van Auken