- Be accessible: Keep the communication channels as open as possible.
- Be alert: Always be on the lookout for emerging trends, opportunities, and threats.
- Be aligned: Act consistently with others in following the rules.
- Be connected: Reach out to others who have similar issues and interests.
- Be informative: Always share what you know.
- Be innovative: Identify problems, solve them, learn, and keep going.
- Be present: Show others you are there with them.
- Be responsible: Take personal ownership and take action.
- Be thoughtful: Show consideration for others on the team.
- Be transparent: Keep your thinking and actions visible to everyone.*
How is your organization, business, volunteer group or church doing when it comes to communication? Do you have a healthy communication strategy?
*The ten points above are an excerpt from VIRTUAL TEAMWORK: Building Your Own Professional Community of Productivity and Meaning, by Phil Van Auken
“I think a lot of our team commitment is a silent understanding that each one of us has poured our life into what we’re doing.”– Claire Carver-Dias, Canadian Olympic Gold Medalist
“Individual commitment to a group effort – that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.” — Vince Lombardi, Famous Pro Football Coach
“Teammates are there for each other even after the noise of the crowd is gone.” — Jim Brown, American Pro Football Player
“Hard work and togetherness. They go hand in hand. You need the hard work because it’s such a tough atmosphere….to win week in and week out. You need togetherness because you don’t always win, and you gotta hang tough together.” — Tony Dungy, Famous Football Coach, Author and Speaker
“Trust. Without it, there is no team. Of the teams I’ve coached that have been successful, all have had an unbelievable amount of trust in each other.” — John Cook, Volleyball Coach
“Great teams work harder after a tough loss.” — Ron Brown, Athlete
“Nobody’s more important than the team.” — Rejean Houle, Canadian Hockey Player and Coach
“Lavish praise on people and people will flourish; criticize people and they’ll shrivel up.” — Richard Branson, Entrepreneur and Businessman
“There’s nothing greater in the world than when somebody on the team does something good, and everybody gathers around to pat him on the back.” — Billy Martin, Famous Baseball Coach